CCG Architects has recently completed the design and documentation for a new Regional Local Area Command Police Station at Deniliquin, NSW. Engaged as Principal Lead Consultant for the provision of Architectural, Structural Engineering and Services Engineering for the design, documentation and attendance during construction. Construction commenced in May 2016.
The site contains a number of buildings, including the former Police Barracks building, which was designed in the office of the Colonial Architect James Barnet and built in 1886. The heritage listed police barracks make a significant street scape contribution to the township due to its prominent corner location.
The Barracks will be retained and form an identity both culturally and aesthetically to the site. Setback from the Barracks the new police building will provide up to date facilities for the Deniliquin precinct. It will still engage the street and create a welcoming interface with the community both inside and out.
The proposed new building is a public building within a public sub-precinct with the hospital. It adopts a contemporary design utilising simple rectilinear forms, so that it does not compete with the former police barracks building. Wall surface materials have been selected in terra-cotta material that harmonises with the red brick of the heritage listed building. Landscaping proposed adjacent to the walls to the vehicle compound at the rear of the site to provide a softened appearance as the backdrop in the visual curtilage of the heritage listed police barracks.